1. Which of these Linux distributions is derived from Red Hat?
Question 1 of 50
2. Which of the following open source applications is a desktop e-mail client?
Question 2 of 50
3. Debian Linux comes with which package manager built in?
Question 3 of 50
4. Which of the following open source packages includes a file share?
Question 4 of 50
5. You are releasing, as open source, a software program meant to be used over a network. What license should you use if you want to ensure that anyone who modifies and lets others use the program must also share the source?
Question 5 of 50
6. Which of the following is not considered a common character class for enforcing strong passwords?
Question 6 of 50
7. Which 'history' flag would you use to remove a single item from the shell history?
Question 7 of 50
8. What is the name of the predecessor to Bash?
Question 8 of 50
9. What happens if you unset the PATH variable in a Bash session?
Question 9 of 50
10. Which directory does not contain useful help information?
Question 10 of 50
11. Which command should you run before using 'locate' for the first time?
Question 11 of 50
12. You want information on the 'time()' system call, but 'man time' instead just gets you information on the shell command. How should you correct this?
Question 12 of 50
13. Which of the following is an absolute path?
Question 13 of 50
14. Where would the home directory for user 'bob' be located?
Question 14 of 50
15. Which combination of options to 'ls' will include a human-readable size in the output?
Question 15 of 50
16. Which flag to 'ls' will list hidden files?
Question 16 of 50
17. What happens if you run 'rmdir' on a directory that contains files?
Question 17 of 50
18. Which path would be listed by 'ls *.*'?
Question 18 of 50
19. What is the fastest way to move a large file to another location on the same filesystem?
Question 19 of 50
20. Which combination of options would you pass to 'tar' to create a gzipped tarball?
Question 20 of 50
21. Which archive format is not supported by 'tar'?
Question 21 of 50
22. Choose the string matched by this regular expression: ^$
Question 22 of 50
23. Which redirection operator would you use to send only stderr to a file, overwriting whatever is there?
Question 23 of 50
24. What will be the output of the following command?
echo 'foobarbaz' | grep b | sort -r
Question 24 of 50
25. What special variable contains the current process ID?
Question 25 of 50
26. What special variable contains the list of arguments passed to a script?
Question 26 of 50
27. What will the following shell script do?
while true; doecho 'hello'done
Question 27 of 50
28. What special variable contains the name of the current shell or script being run?
Question 28 of 50
29. What happens if you forget to include the shebang (#!) line in a script?
Question 29 of 50
30. Which exit status means that the previous command exited successfully, without error?
Question 30 of 50
31. Which of these devices most likely represents a printer?
Question 31 of 50
32. When setting up disks on a new system, you want to configure multiple logical volumes rather than allocating partitions based on the physical disks. Which tool would you use?
Question 32 of 50
33. What directory is typically used when manually mounting an external disk or file share?
Question 33 of 50
34. Which directory contains files representing disk partitions, TTY's, and other system devices?
Question 34 of 50
35. What does the 'free' command do?
Question 35 of 50
36. The 'dmesg' command will show you what type of system logs?
Question 36 of 50
37. The /etc/hosts file could be considered a static replacement for what network protocol?
Question 37 of 50
38. Which file, historically, has been where the DNS nameservers were configured?
Question 38 of 50
39. What is root's user ID?
Question 39 of 50
40. Which of the following is not a typical default characteristic of system users, relative to normal users?
Question 40 of 50
41. Which field is not included in /etc/passwd?
Question 41 of 50
42. Which field is not included in /etc/shadow?
Question 42 of 50
43. Which field is not present in /etc/group?
Question 43 of 50
44. What is the purpose of giving /usr/bin/passwd 'setuid root' permissions?
Question 44 of 50
45. How would the following command set permissions for foo.txt?
chmod 600 foo.txt
Question 45 of 50
46. What would the octal representation be of these permissions, as returned by 'ls -l'?
Question 46 of 50
47. Which of the following is not true about hard links?
Question 47 of 50
48. Which of the following is not true about symbolic links?
Question 48 of 50
49. What will be the output of the following command?
echo 'foobarbaz' | grep '.*' | wc -l
Question 49 of 50
50. What will be the output of the following command?
echo 'foobarbaz' | head -2 | cut -da -f2
Question 50 of 50
Daily Labs into your Inbox: